Sts. Mary and Joseph Chapel Historic Architecture
1818 - Origin
In 1818, the first Church was erected. "The Church was a log cabin built on the northeast corner of the west half of the block. In this Church, the Reverend Felix de Andreis, the first Vicar General of St. Louis, placed the first post. A touch of romance is found in this early Carondelet structure, for it was built from the material of the old wooden Cathedral in St. Louis.
In 1835, the log Church would eventually fall down and be reconstructed using stone. It contains a large scale bell which originally belonged to the first Catholic house of worship in St. Louis. It contains white washed walls with scriptural engravings and unpainted pews numbered in chalk.
On 1858, the cornerstone of a third church was laid, the great orator, Father Patrick J. Ryan preaching the sermon. Father Ryan would later become the Vicar General of St. Louis and Pastor of the Old Cathedral. The church was built by Father Lawrence Henrick, having a brick foundation.
In 1940, Sts. Mary and Joseph present day church was built and is considered one of the most beautiful and thoroughly constructed churches in St. Louis. It is the British village chapel type with a touch of Gothic architecture. The columns and arches are made of bedford Indiana limestone. The entire ceiling was crafted from exposed timber and the entrance was built using Wisconsin Lannon stone trimmed with bedford limestone.